Tom Yum Goong is suitable to be eaten in any season, for lunch, dinner, even for Asians having breakfast with Tom Yum, it is refreshing, you should try !!
You can add the tom yum with anything you like, rice, noodles, rice noodles, shrimp, chicken, whatever. Because the basic ingredients are all the same soup, from chicken broth or shrimp broth which are added to Asian spices namely lemongrass, galangal and kafir lime leaves.
Don’t forget when serving tom yum, reminding your family or guests not to eat lemongrass, galangal and kafir lime leaves. Alternatively, you can remove all the herbs after they are done infusing, before adding the mushrooms.
TOM YUM GOONG (LEMONGRASS SHRIMP SOUP)
- 8 shrimp head and shell
- 4 1/2 cup Water
Tom Yum Goong
- 4 cups shrimp stock/chicken stock/water
- 8-12 shrimp
- 5 kafir lime leaves, roughly torn
- 1 lemongrass stalk, smashed and cut into 1-2 imch pieces
- 7-8 rounds galangan, thinly sliced
- Chili, to taste, bruised and cut into large pieces
- 3-4 tbsp chilli paste, optional
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 3 tbsp fish sauce, optional
- 1-2 tsp sugar
- 3 cup mushroom, cut or tear large one into bite sized pieces
- noodle for our karbo :))
- cilantro for garnish
- shrimp head for garnish
- Use a little oil in the pan, add the shrimp head and shell, saute it until the bits on the bottom starts to get brown
- Deglaze it with water and then let it simmer for 45 minutes
- After that, strain out the head and shell
- Save the head for garnish
Tom Yum Goong
- Add the shrimp stock, lemongrass, kafir lime leaves, galangal and chili to the pot. Bring to a boil and let it boil for 3-4 minutes until you can smell the fragrance of the herbs from the pot.
- When the soup is done simmering, add the mushroom and bring the soup back to a boil
- When the soup comes back to a boil, add the shrimp and when the soup just starts to bubble again, turn of the heat. Let the residual heat of the soup cook the shrimp completely, another minute or so.
- Add the lime juice, fish sauce (if using), chili paste and sugar to your soup and stir. Tasteand adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve it with rice or noodle
- Pouring the soup over noodle or rice